Ramey’s Advice: What You Need to Know About Car Crashes
In a previous blog, we took a close look at the statistics of national car accidents and their prevalence during the holidays. While you should cherish the moments you spend with your loved ones during your winter vacation and holiday celebrations, it’s highly important to take the basics of car accidents into consideration.
At the Ramey Law Firm, we know the victims of car crashes often ask themselves, “What do I do now?” With preparation and our information, you’ll be ready to step up against the negligence caused by a negligent motorist.
Don’t let someone else’s mistake disrupt your life. Give us a call to schedule your FREE consultation today.
The First Step: Avoid Inattentive Driving
Most drivers understand that the road requires our undivided attention, yet many continue to drive their vehicles in a careless and dangerous manner. The following are some of the most common factors to always consider when sitting behind the wheel:
- Keep Your Eyes on the Road – There’s a time and a place to apply your makeup, eat your breakfast and send a quick message. Your driver’s seat is not one of them.
- Read the Signs – According to the Insurance Research Council, the most common cause of accidents in large cities such as Dallas is the disregard for red lights. Perhaps you are also guilty of stepping on the gas when the light turns yellow, but this could be a very dangerous mistake. In 2005 alone, 150,000 injuries and 800 fatalities were attributed to red light running.
- Fasten It – It’s only natural to forget things every now and then. However, there are certain things that must never be forgotten. Your seatbelt can be the difference between life and death, so make sure you and your loved ones are always buckled up.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
Unfortunately, car accidents are a commonplace occurrence in cities as large as Dallas. This means it’s important to be prepared and know how to react if you’re ever in a crash. At the Ramey Law Firm, we understand it’s normal for panic and fear to set in when you’re in this type of situation. However, it’s important to know how to react so you can keep your car accident case as strong as possible.
- Stay Calm – Chances are that if a negligent driver strikes you, your emotions may flare up, but it’s highly important you maintain your composure. If you fail to do so, you may run the risk of having an anger outburst on the driver at fault. To avoid this, take deep breaths and walk around on the sidewalk or any other safe areas.
- Keep the Other Driver in Place – Even if your accident was relatively minor, the other driver must stay at the scene in case of any possible injuries or pain. Ask the other driver to stay in the nicest way possible and do the same with any witnesses that may be willing to tell their version of the accident to law enforcement.
- Contact the Authorities – You must contact the authorities as soon as your accident occurs. If you wait, you may not get the police report you need to make a successful case. Additionally, authorities will ensure any injuries or lesions are treated accordingly.
- Gather Information – Your legal case can be greatly strengthened with data such as driver’s license numbers, contact information, insurance information, license plate numbers and pictures of the accident. Gather this information from the other driver, as well as any contact information from any witnesses, while you wait for police to arrive.
- Speak Up – Once the authorities arrive, speak up and give them your story with as many details as possible. While it may not feel good to incriminate someone else, you must look out for yourself.
Contact an Attorney ASAP
The aftermath of an accident in which catastrophic injuries or death occur generally involves complex litigation. In moments of this nature, when your financial strains can often make it difficult for victims to find the right treatment or even bury their loved ones, you’ll want the monetary compensation you’re entitled to. However, before you get the compensation you deserve, you’ll need to consider many legal issues and factors. With an experienced personal injury lawyer by your side, your case will be handled in the most professional manner with all your needs in mind.
One of the most important things to consider is that when looking to save money on litigation costs, reaching a settlement may be the best thing to do. While most people lack the legal prowess to negotiate, a qualified personal injury lawyer can be the key to bringing the best settlement to your table. Their skills in the legal field and knowledge of the settlement process can increase your chances of getting the monetary compensation you and your loved ones deserve.
The Ramey Law Firm is a Phone Call Away
Unfortunately, the aftermath of a car accident at the hands of a negligent driver can be one of the most difficult situations to find yourself in. However, at the Ramey Law Firm in Dallas, we work hard to effectively handle your case so you can focus on the betterment of what matters most: your family. Whether your accident occurred in the heart of Fort Worth or in the outskirts of Arlington, know that our personal injury lawyer is here to help. Give us a call today if you have any questions about our services.