Bouncing Back: The Basics of Slip and Fall Accidents
October brought the State of Texas quite a bit of rain. While this weather can come with its fair share of benefits, it can also increase the risk of a slip and fall accident. Hazards ranging from wet surfaces to uneven sidewalks can often be dangerous and put you and your loved ones one misstep away from a serious injury. What can you do if this happens at a business or someone else’s estate? At the Ramey Law Firm, we want to help you brush up on the basics and know what to do if you or a loved one suffers a slip and fall accident in Dallas or its surrounding areas.
A slip and fall accident can cause your well-being to suffer, but you don’t have to get back up on your own. Call us today to schedule your FREE consultation.
For Your Consideration
The legal concept of premises liability is often associated with slip and fall injury cases. This means the owner of the property, whether it’s a business or home, is responsible for accidents caused by dangerous conditions he/she knew existed. If you are planning on pursuing a premises liability case, here are some important factors to keep in mind:
- The owner or tenant of the property must have owed a legal duty of care to the person who suffered the injury. This means the owner or tenant must have taken the necessary steps to ensure safety at their property.
- The owner or tenant must have failed to fulfil their duty to inspect their property for hazards or warned about known dangers.
- The injury suffered by a visitor must have occurred as a direct result of this violation.
- The victim of a slip and fall accident must provide evidence of their injuries in order to pursue the compensation they need to cover medical bills, therapy fees, loss of wages, etc.
It’s also important to understand that the owner or tenant of a property may not be held accountable for injuries resulting from a hazard that he/she was unaware of or suddenly appeared. Keep in mind that rules and regulations may differ depending on the location – city, state, federal government-owned property – of the accident.
Follow the Immediate Process
A slip and fall accident will generally occur when you least expect it and can leave you with catastrophic injuries that could hinder your life as a result of outrageous medical bills and debt. This means the legal guidance of a personal injury attorney is a must, but there’s a process to always follow immediately after the accident occurs. The personal injury lawyer of the Ramey Law Firm in Dallas has prepared the information you may need if a slip and fall accident ever happens to you or someone you love.
- Seek Medical Attention – Your health is always a priority, so find medical attention immediately after a slip and fall accident. Remember to document the extent of your injuries along with medical bills to determine the compensation you’ll be seeking.
- Report the Accident – Let the person in charge of the premises know of your accident. If you are unable to do so immediately due to your injuries, don’t hesitate to give them a call once you’re able to. Once they’ve made their report, ask for a copy for your own documentation.
- Take Photos – Visual proof of the location of your accident, the time when it happened and the condition of the premises is very important when building your case.
- Find Information – Authorities will get the phone numbers, addresses, names and email addresses of any witnesses to your accident, and it wouldn’t hurt if you did the same for your own personal records. You will find that a witness’s account of your slip and fall accident can solidify your case and ease the case-building process.
Find Legal Representation
It’s highly important to contact an attorney as soon as you can and even before you begin dealing with insurance companies. Doing so will help you prevent any difficulties or setbacks that may occur with the insurers involved. If your accident occurred in Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington or any other surrounding areas, know that the Ramey Law Firm is ready to help.
The Ramey Law Firm Can Help
Since our inception, we have taken pride in the comprehensive and professional representation we offer to the victims of someone else’s negligence. It’s unfair for you and your loved ones to deal with catastrophic injuries, medical bills and therapy fees when someone else is at fault. Our personal injury lawyer will listen to your story and use every bit of evidence and documentation available to produce an effective plan of action.
At the Ramey Law Firm, we are knowledgeable and have the grit and high-caliber counsel your case needs to get the monetary compensation you deserve. For more information about how we can help you, give us a call in Dallas today.